From Rise: The Vieneo Province
TVM (Target Velocity Match)
TVM evaluates the velocity of a selected target and uses the ship thrust to match both it's speed and direction.
When you have the desired close rate set to 0.0 you will try to stay in the same position to the target as you are now.
If you adjust the desired to a positive number you will be moved parallel to the target plus the closure speed and direction you are aiming. Your direction the nose is point and the desired closure speed is added to the target's vector as an additional vector.
If you adjust the desired to a negative number you will be moved parallel to the target minus the closure speed and direction you are aiming. Your direction the nose is point and the desired closure speed is subtracted from the target's vector.
TVM is also possible off a stationary object (a waypoint, a vehicle parked on the ground, a PODS on the ground), a stationary object has a vector of 0 direction and 0 velocity. This will try to hover a VTOL vehicle. In actuality since gravity is acting on the vehicle it will be slowly pulled to a landing, normally at about 2m/sec to 10 m/sec.
Not an intended use! Use at your own risk!
Using TVM to approach a Space Station
Remember as the station orbits the planet of course it is a giant circle. E is a perfect circle for the stations, CPOC is at 3000km often the shortest route is through the planet. You MUST always monitor your orbital path.
- Look at the Ground Track figure out where the station will be when you have climbed out of the atmosphere.
- Take off heading on a course to intercept.
- Climb to approximately 100KM
- AIM the nose of the ship at the Direction of target of the station
- Turn On TVM and set it to a close speed to 3-4KM/sec closure speed Version 184.108.40.206 and newer the joystick set for "Engine 1" will control TVM closure)
- Keep aiming the nose at the station
- Keep looking at VSI to make sure it is NOT going negative
- As you get close to the station start to slow down. An E-10 NOT full of cargo will take over 250KM to to slow to 0.250 KM/sec A heavy E-10 can take over 400Km. Brake early your goal is to not have the station remind you of the 0.250 km/sec speed limit.
- Ask for clearance to dock.
- Stop with in 100m of the new waypoint.
- Press 'd' to dock
Congratulations you are docked.